martedì 9 agosto 2016

Corfu holidays for the second year in a row - Vacanze greche a Corfu






Hello there! I was thinking: I'd better hurry up, before I find myself in Autumn writing about summer holidays... It is hard to select the pictures and to decide what to post. Anyway, I hope to give to those of you who haven't still decided where to spend these hot and sweaty days of August, some good ideas. Here is a recap of my Corfù holidays in this wonderful spot called Agios Gordios, the perfect place for a family vacation. The beach is sandy with little and colorful stones. I took some with me, but let it remain a secret between you and me. Well, the sun sets at 10.00 PM almost in July. It's a wonderful sensation... I had never spent a whole day and almost night in front of the sun. We spent our evenings waiting for the sun to go inside the sea and my photograph doesn't do it justice.... You have a full round sun in front of you slowly diseappering into the sea. Undescribable! I feel so nostalgic about these vacations, but writing this post is making me relive for the second time those wonderful days.  



This was the place we stayed. A wonderful house with this wonderful flowery and shadowy patio, surrounded by old olive trees in the middle of the most vivid vegetation you can imagine. Corfù is famous for its vegetation and its perfumes and scents, given the extraordinary amount of Citrus and orange trees and kumquat trees, a kind of Citrus tree that was first planted by an Englishman. It looks like mandarin but is has an oval shape and is very very sweet. In Corfù you will find kumquat marmalades, kumquat liquors and kumquat sweets.




Last year I hadn't completed my visit to the town of Corfù, I had of course visited the old Venetian part of the city, but had missed the Promenade along the sea.... Walking down the Promenade you arrive at this fabulous windmill. Underneath you can have a bath in the sea. There is where the Corfù inhabitants have baths. Very close to this place there is a beautifu. bar where we took a Nescafé, the shaken cold coffee that every Greek consumes at least thrice a day.



On the other side of the Promenade you can spot a beautiful ancient greek temple. I'd better rectify. I thought it was ancient, but I found out it was built in the 1870 or something by the English that ruled the Island. Nowadays it is an Orthodox Greek Church on the top of the hill and alongside the old port. On the top of the Venetian fortress there you a full and beautiful view of the city and admire its history, its old buildings and its grandeur. In front of the fortress you have a beautiful look of the Albanian South cost.






When abroad, we eat like Italians do. Italians go on the hunt of Italian reastaurants usually or in search of renown places (for their cuisine mainly) where you eat well. We discovered this beautiful and Neapolitan Italian Restaurant where we ordered a pasta. We really enjoyed spending some hours in this wonderful place. It is called "La Tavola Calda" and is run by two very nice Italian people, Bruno and Nino. The dishes are special and sooooooo tasty!!!!!!!! You'll have a great time there!


The sea was transparent in Agios Gordios and everywhere we had baths. Give a look at this picture! The woman shooting the picture is meeeeee!!

This is Sidari, one of the most turistic and visited places of Corfù, mostly known for this spellbinding rock called "The canal d'amour". While on the top of the rock, me and my hubby tried to imagine ourselves a little bit younger and with no kids... Well, believe me, it is one of the most romantic places I have ever seen.


Here is a picture of Paxos, a very small Island in the South of Corfù. My mobile abandoned me while our boat was approaching the Island. Don't worry, my hubby took some pictures of it. Another chapter will follow of this wonderful spot of Greece so just stay tuned!!!!!!



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...